Select Page

If you or someone you care for has been injured or hurt while under the protective care of a care home, you might be entitled to make a claim for compensation.

Care home negligence is defined as when someone who lives in a care home is subjected to poor, or substandard care. This can include:

Abuse from Staff

Old and ill patients can sometimes be quite hard work and challenging to deal with, but under no circumstances is it acceptable for carers to abuse patients – even in extreme situations.

Mental Health Problems

Many elderly or infirm patients suffer from anxiety, depression and a feeling of being withdrawn but it is crucial that these signs are monitored and that the mental health of all patients is treated with sensitivity


In some cases care home patients can be given the wrong diagnosis that can lead to the wrong medication being provided. This can have drastic, sometimes fatal consequences.

Failure to provide food and drink

It can be difficult to know when people who struggle to communicate need feeding or something to drink, but it is the responsibility of the care home to provide the suitable food and drink as and when it is necessary. A lack of nutrition and hydration is a prime example of care home negligence.

How to tell if someone is being abused

It is important to look for the telltale signs of abuse such as unexplained bruising, cuts, burns or other skin abrasions. In addition to this, bedsores can be a major source of pain for patients. If the staff are hesitant about leaving you alone with the patient, or if the patient seems to be overly medicated these can also be signs that all is not as it should be.

How long do I have to complain?

If you feel that something is wrong with the treatment or care that you or your loved one is receiving, you should speak up immediately. In some cases it can be difficult to see if there is neglect or mistreatment, but if signs develop over time, or if you don’t notice until after something has happened, you have up to three years in which to file your complaint.

Who to call

If you or a loved one has suffered from poor care or abuse at the hands of a care home, you should contact one of our solicitors today. We have a great deal of experience in handling these types of cases and will rapidly be able to tell you if you are eligible to make a claim, and if so how much that claim could be worth.